Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Happy birthday to me!

In honor of this milestone, I thought I'd write something full of self-reflection, stock taking, and goal setting. And, knowing that my day would likely be fairly busy, I thought I'd get up early to do it. I set my alarm for about 45 minutes earlier than I normally do and thought a leisurely and thoughtful morning would be just the way to start my thirties. Here's what I learned:

I'm exactly the same person as always. And you know what? That person doesn't like to get up early. This isn't my first get-up-early-and-accomplish-shit-before-you-go-to-work plan. I do this on a regular basis, and it never, ever works. I really would like to be a morning person; I look at my friends who are up at 6:00 every day, and I think they are fitting so much more into their lives than I am. I want to read for an hour before work or actually start a writing project instead of just talking about starting one. And my resolve is firm as I go to sleep the night before, but that snooze button is just too tempting come morning. I could find this frustrating and be disappointed in myself. Instead, though, I'm taking comfort that I am the same person as always. It seems that no matter what age I am, I'll always be the same lazy snooze-hitter, and I'm ok with that.

1 comments:

Veronica said...

Happy happy birthday!