Tuesday, September 4, 2007

This will be my obsession for the next few months

In addition to dancing it up at Pam and Brandon’s wedding this past weekend, I also took a day trip out to Brooklyn to check out potential new neighborhoods. I spent the bulk of my time in Williamsburg where I had an awesome (and awesomely cheap) falafel for lunch and some tasty massaman curry for dinner. In between, I mostly just walked. I worried that all the hipsters in Williamsburg would be annoying, but I saw fewer wannabes than I had expected. Maybe they’d all gone to the Hamptons for the last weekend of the summer (do hipsters do the Hamptons?), but overall the feeling was less ironic and more authentic than I’d anticipated. I saw lots of cafes, bakeries, and coffee joints, and there was nary a Starbucks in sight. I also found an independent bookstore and lots of quirky shops, all of which makes me think Brooklyn’s not half bad. McCarren Park was bigger than I thought it would be, and I also found a waterfront park with a fabulous view of Manhattan where I watched the sun set. As vast as it is, there is a lot more of Brooklyn for me to explore before I get too attached to any particular area, and I’m trying to keep my expectations realistic and my mind open.

If I try to stay in Manhattan, I think Morningside Heights is my best bet. There seem to be some deals a bit further north than where I am now, and the commute to campus and work would certainly be easier than they would be from Brooklyn,

Every broker I talk to seems to utilize the scare tactic approach. According to them there are no places to live for less than the cost of your right arm in monthly rent and your first born in broker’s fees. Luckily Craig’s List sings a different tune, and I’m banking on finding something I like. Everyone: Keep your fingers crossed for me and pass along any news of available apartments!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked Williamsburg! It is super cute, and haven't the hipsters moved on to the next big neighborhood? Also, you should check out Brooklyn Heights near the botanical garden and library - more affordable than the slope and an easy commute to midtown on the D or Q (or whatever those trains are called now). Good luck!