Monday, October 19, 2009

More Apple Goodness

As of this morning, I still had a dozen apples left over from our afore-mentioned trip to Stuart's Farm, and I knew I couldn't eat them all before they went bad. So, instead of letting them go to waste, I made apple sauce for the first time. It was so easy, and it tastes delicious!

I peeled and thinly sliced 8 apples and threw them into the slow cooker with a half cup of water. After about six and a half hours of cooking on low, they were nothing but mush, just the way apple sauce should be. At that point I added 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar and a sprinkling each of ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. I let it cook for another half hour on low, and shazam! Spiced apple sauce!

2 comments:

Tori said...

A quick update on this recipe: The applesauce is really good on oatmeal but I've decided it's a little too sweet on its own. If you try it, I'd recommend taking the brown sugar down to 1/2 cup. Enjoy!

Tina said...

I'm not sure what I love more - the absolute simplicity and joy of this...

or the

SHAZAM!! :)