Thursday, April 19, 2007

My thoughts on Coram Boy

Last night I went to see Coram Boy, Broadway's latest British import. The play is, in its broadest terms, about families--those we're born into and those we make--and the costs of following your passions/obsessions. The script was moralistic and the direction was broad, though. I wouldn't have been surprised had one of the actors pulled out an actual soapbox and stood on it to give his lines. They play is oddly both frenetic and sluggish; there is much running around on the stage without a lot of plot progression. It has a three-hour running time, and, unfortunately, it felt it.

That said, it has amazing choral singing and some of the most beautiful staging I've ever seen. I'm glad I saw it, but I won't rush back to see it again.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Look at you and your spiffy new technology!

I'm learning that the Coram Boy debate on ATC is...spirited. Like this retort to someone's comment that "the emperor has no clothes:"

"EMPEROR IS NAKED? nope, more like one audience member is on crack."

:o)