Friday, August 17, 2007

Divine Intervention

Laura recently pulled me into the world of book reviewing for a Colorado-based online mag she’s involved with. Enfuse Magazine, in addition to book reviews, publishes reviews and features on films, games, music, and all other manner of art and culture. I’m excited to be writing for them and thank Laura for getting me involved!

Last week I took a hiatus from the massive to-be-read pile of books I’ve slowly accumulated to read The View From Here: Conversations with Gay and Lesbian Filmmakers. You’ll have to visit Enfuse to read my full review of it, but here’s a teaser:

[The author] circles around issues, asking similar questions to multiple filmmakers. This technique offers broad if not deep responses to questions about what it’s like to work independently versus within the studio system, how politics influence films and films influence politics, and how the landscape of gay and lesbian films has changed over time.


Check it out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review! I'm curious to read at least a sampling of these interviews; that take on Brokeback Mountain makes me choke a little -- because I really want it to *not* be true, but it almost certainly is.

Tori said...

I know--I never even thought about Brokeback like that, but now that the idea has been proposed, I feel really naive for not seeing it before.

Jen said...

Wow--what a great review! I knew this blogging thing would lead to greatness. :o)