Sunday, August 5, 2007

The sensation that’s sweeping the nation

Ok, in reality, it’s the sensation that started in LA, skipped the entire middle of the country, and recently landed in New York City. That sensation’s name? Pink Berry. It’s a new frozen yogurt creation (part yogurt and part shaved ice) topped with your choice of unhealthy toppings like Cap’n Crunch, chocolate chips, or hot fudge or (and this seems to be the resoundingly more popular choice) fruit. There are only two flavors ever, and they are always the same: plain yogurt (this does not mean vanilla—it means PLAIN) or green tea. That’s it. And it’s a phenomenon.

I finally tried it last night after hearing all the hype for months now. I waited in a long-ass line and then felt slightly scolded by the guy behind the counter for not knowing what I wanted. Unfortunately, they don’t list their toppings anywhere, so until you’ve waited for ages wondering what exactly makes this all worthwhile and finally make it to the front of the line, you don’t have a chance to prep for the ordering process. I ended up with a cup of the plain yogurt with raspberries, kiwis, and blueberries.

The first bite was underwhelming. And, I confess, I was tempted to hate it on principle just for being so popular, much like I hate any books that come pre-approved by Oprah’s book club. By the end, though, I’d kind of come around. I’m not saying it’s worth all the fuss, but it was good. It was very light and felt healthy, as far as desserts go. I can see why it became so popular in image-obsessed Hollywood first.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate and I saw this store on our last visit, and, being from the midwest, had no idea what the hell it was, though I was charmed by the pretty pretty colors. Glad we didn't stand in the ridiculously long long for plain yogurt...

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this! You'll have to coach me one day so I don't get yelled at when I go.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to hate this trend, too, but now (after a few trips to the one across from Mandoo and the discovery that bananas and strawberries sweeten it quite nicely), I'm addicted.