Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Tina Siler Eating and Shopping Tour of New York

Tina arrived at my place on Saturday after what sounds like a smooth flight and hellaciously long baggage claim experience at JFK. She warned me that she was here to shop (thanks to our esteemed president, all of New York is essentially half-off to Londoners), and she wasn’t kidding! After a short catch-up in my apartment we headed out for burritos (apparently England has very little to offer in the way of Mexican food) and then hit the shops in my hood. We stopped only after hitting Banana, The Gap, and Aldo and only then because the other stores in the area were closing and wouldn’t let us in.

Sunday was a delicious breakfast at Popover CafĂ©, my favorite brunch place in my ‘hood, and even though they were totally unnecessary, I insisted Tina and I each get a popover to start our meal. With bellies full of carbs and strawberry butter, we hit the town. The Upper West Side is full of posh boutiques that I routinely ignore. I’m frankly intimidated by shops like these and fear being called out for my poverty like some scene straight out of Pretty Woman. My shopping is more along the lines of Ann Taylor Loft when I’m feeling flush and Old Navy when I’m not. Buoyed by Tina’s visa card, though, we braved some of these boutiques and often didn’t leave empty handed. All I can say is that Tina will look fabulous when she starts her new job on Monday. I’ll still look like someone who shops at Old Navy, but that’s ok. We wrapped up our day with manicures, pedicures, and the most awesome mac and cheese in NYC, courtesy of Duke’s.

Unfortunately, I’ve had to abandon Tina to her own devices while I go to work this week, so yesterday my shopping exposure was limited to an evening trip to Macy’s and the budget friendly Old Navy. We were just about to pass out from low blood sugar when we dragged our shopping bags into a taxi and headed to the east side for (drum roll....) gorgonzola bread! Those of you who know Angel’s know how good a night with gorgonzola bread is; those of you who don’t, just imagine heaven in your mouth. The restaurant isn’t decked out with cherubs for nothing.

I think tonight we do The Strand, which is just fine with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Argh! I'm so jealous I'm not there! I miss you guys (almost as much as I miss Angel's bread...).

Tina said...

Laura, honey we missed you, too!! And, without wanting to rub it in too much - Heaven in your mouth is a bit of an understatement on the gorgonzola bread! I travelled 1,000+ miles for that bread. And it was worth every delicious mile of it!

THANK YOU Tori for making my trip to NYC absolutely amazing!!!