Thursday, August 2, 2007

D'oh!

It’s always sad to realize that you’ve seen the funniest bits of the movie you’re watching in the previews. While that isn’t 100% the case with The Simpsons Movie, it almost is. The “spider pig” part was one of the biggest laugh getters at the screening Rena and I took in earlier this week, and it’s also the part that I’ve seen almost any time I’ve seen anything at all about the movie. Another favorite part, for me at least, was Bart taunting Homer with a Flander-ized picture of Homer while repeating “Howdly-Doodly” over and over. It was actually pretty damn funny. Unfortunately, there weren’t a lot of other laugh-out-loud moments in the movie. As Rena pointed out, it essentially felt like a really long episode. It was a well done 90-minute episode, but still.

I’m not a die hard Simpsons fan, though I do enjoy the show. Maybe the movie is worth $10 for the really serious fans, but for everyone else, I recommend a bit of Netflix action on this one.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

I actually really enjoyed the movie. I went in with somewhat low expectations, which may have helped in this, I admit, but I laughed quite a bit, and that's really all I can ask for from this movie. I agree with you about commercials over-playing some of the best bits, like with Spider Pig, though. But I was happy they left the last few lines of the song out of the commercials, as I thought they were actually the funniest part of that bit.

Anonymous said...

I, too, liked this movie more than you did (maybe because I'm a die-hard fan & can basically quote every single episode). I didn't really go in expecting it to be much different from the TV episodes, though I thought the animation was much sharper. I also loved that they were able to take the jokes a step further than they can on TV.