Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Self Improvement Project Needed

Friday night I went out with a co-worker I’ve recently become friends with. She told me in confidence about a new business venture she and a couple of friends are trying to get off the ground. It marries her writing and journalism ambitions with an idealism she holds while still filling an important market niche not currently being served. It sounded like a plan with every possible ingredient for both success and personal satisfaction, and I was happy for her. She came in my office yesterday and said that in her excitement on Friday night, she now realized, she didn’t ask me about my “pipe dreams.” I tried to look thoughtful as I wracked my brain for a good answer, and the sad fact was that I didn’t have one. I have no big pipe dreams, no goal that I working toward or even just talking about.

So now I feel like I need some kind of goal: something to give me a purpose beyond just cranking out marketing materials for Columbia and reading contemporary fiction. The timing of this mini existential crisis is particularly interesting, because I’m almost finished reading Julie and Julia (a real review to follow). I think Julie Powell’s dramatic belief that if she didn’t finish her self-assigned project she’d have a totally empty life has gotten under my skin more than I realized. There is something curiously powerful about the belief that just living day to day isn’t enough. I have (for once) a job that I’m pretty happy with. I am excited about my new apartment. My friends and family are happy and healthy. My social life is a success. And yet, I’m plagued by the idea that I need to be doing something more.

The challenge is that I have no idea what to do. I claim to want to take classes, but as each new semester starts, the idea of spending three nights a week in class is never as enticing as it is after it’s too late to sign up, at which point I wistfully remember what it’s like to learn and be part of challenging discussions and thought-provoking debates. We all know that I’m not going to sauté and broil my way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking. So what should I do? I’m taking suggestions and open to all ideas. Should I learn to cake decorate? Should I start doing yoga every week? Bring on the ideas, people.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello? What happened to the trashy romance novel? You know, NaNoWriMo is coming up, which is a great excuse to at least start it!

Anonymous said...

Enroll in a continuing education course at a community college. I love these kinds of courses because they're rarely longer than two or three weeks, you meet only once or twice a week and you aren't graded. It's a good way to get started in something you'd like to pursue but aren't quite sure you want to commit to. Take a variety of classes until you hit one that you really enjoy.

Just my $0.02.

Anonymous said...

If I get to taste all your works of art, I say go for the cake decorating idea!!

Anonymous said...

do you still think about taking classes in dramaturgy or interior decorating? In the meantime, you could make your new apartment a decorating project. A trashy romance novel sounds promising, too...