Friday, February 29, 2008

Boston Bound

I'm up on Boston this weekend visiting my sister, Shannon. I slummed it on the Peter Pan bus for about four hours which was actually not so bad. I know everyone thinks the train is much nicer, and maybe it is. But it's also a hundred bucks or so more. And my bus today wasn't crowded which meant that I got to stretch out (and sat nowhere near the bathroom). So I had a few hours of napping and reading and sort of watching Superman Returns on the bus TVs before arriving in South Station.

I got into Boston about an hour before Shannon got out of work. Since her office is in the historic part of the city, we had decided this morning that I'd kill some time in the touristy but good for time-killin' Quincy Market. She was even kind enough to send me a google map, but since I don't have a printer, I left South Station with only the vaguest idea of where I was going. I've been there before, but it's been a while and I'm definitely not gifted with a good sense of direction. So I asked a woman standing outside the station, and she gave me the girliest of all chick directions ever. The went something like this:

See those two roundish looking buildings? You'll want to go sort of between there...then you'll keep walking diagonally but also a little to the left. Then the streets will open up more. And you'll see the market right there, and you'll know you're there because it won't be so businessy.
Not a street name to be had, but those directions actually got me exactly where I needed to be.

Shannon and I hung out for a bit and then met up with Veronica and Mike for dinner, which was great. It would have been lame to come all this way and not get to see them for a while, too. We ate pasta at a little place on the North End before heading over to Mike's Pastries, which Shannon had been told by many people was the best pastry shop in the city. I haven't yet tasted all the pastry in the city, but Mike's was pretty good.

0 comments: