Thursday, April 16, 2009

Moving Tomorrow (sort of)

So the move is kind of, sort of, finally here. I’m off from work tomorrow and Camilla and I are going to cab it ten blocks north and make ourselves at home in Todd’s apartment. This plan gives Camilla and me a few hours on our own before Todd (who she knows well by now) comes home. Then she’ll have a few days of just the three of us in the new digs before Dylan and Sofia are there, too. It’s a lot of change for her, so I’m trying to ease her in.

Housing Works, a community-based AIDS service organization complete with thrift store, is coming to my apartment to, I hope, pick up some furniture tomorrow. Nothing is certain because while Housing Works is a fabulous organization, they are also annoyingly particular about what donations they’ll accept. I was grilled about the state of my sofa when I offered it to them, repeatedly being asked if it was in perfect condition. I told the woman it probably needed to be cleaned and she then went off about how if there was a stain on it I could forget about them taking it. I think they need to chillax a little, but since that’s not likely to happen before tomorrow I’m just hoping that at least a few pieces of furniture pass muster. In the meantime I’ve also discovered that Goodwill in New York doesn’t accept furniture donations, so I’m finding it oddly difficult to get rid of my stuff. The Salvation Army looks promising, so I’ll be calling them soon, too.

It’ll be nice when all of this is finished. I can’t wait to get into my new home with Todd!

3 comments:

Rena said...

So exciting! I'm sure Camilla will love her new home :)

The Salvation Army took half my apartment away when I moved but they need a little notice to schedule a pickup so I hope it all works out!

Chillax :)
that made me laugh

Unknown said...

Getting close! :) I'm so happy and excited for you!

Dorrie said...

Yeah! I hope you have a lovely weekend in your new digs with Todd. When we moved I scheduled a pickup with satruck.com that sort of worked out. They picked up one of my couches, but the one with "cat scratches" got refused. I had to schedule a trash pick up for that one...