Friday, April 17, 2009

The Object of My Affection and Man of the House

I finished my second Stephen McCauley book over last weekend. Like The Object of My Affection, which I read a couple of weeks ago, Man of the House was given to me by Rena when she was doing a big purge before her move to Massachusetts. Though these are the only two of McCauley’s books that I’ve read so far, there were enough overlapping themes in them to suggest that he mines some of the same topics regularly. Both novels center on early middle–aged gay men who teach for a living, are entangled in the lives of their straight roommates and friends, have strained if hopeful relationships with their families, and ruminate on parenting.

Despite these similarities, the plots are different enough that I never felt like I was reading a retread of the same story (as happens in, say, every single Amy Tan book ever). The Object of My Affection was the more enjoyable of the two for me. I read it first, and McCauley’s voice and themes felt fresher. That said, both were perfect reads for me right now.

As you know, I’m all about the fluff these days. With boring academic articles coming my way for class reading, when I turn to fiction I’m looking for pure enjoyment. I’m sure that some day in the distant future I’ll return to heavy-hitting fiction that requires an investment of brain power. For now, though, I’m allowing myself to forgo all the books I should be reading and am just enjoying the pleasure of a good story. And McCauley is perfect for this. His stories have enough depth to hook you and maintain interest. They also raise enough issues to provide some food for thought, but the plot’s success isn’t contingent upon you actually doing any of the thinking. The prompts are there if you feel like doing a little reflection; if you’re just in it for the entertainment, that’s ok, too.


1 comments:

Veronica said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Amy Tan...