Tuesday, July 24, 2007

First vegan in The White House?

Did anyone else watch the CNN/You Tube debate last night? Though the format was, of course, novel, much of what the candidates said was politics as usual. They have their messages, and regardless of the questions asked, they find ways to hit their standard talking points. Also unsurprisingly, Hillary and Barack got more air time than anyone else. One of the things that is so frustrating about the media coverage of this very long campaign is that they focus only on the candidates who are already well known. That constant publicity, of course, only serves to reinforce their name recognition which translates into good numbers in the polls which equals more publicity. It's such a self-fulfilling prophecy. I hate to say it, but most Americans aren't seeking out the information needed to understand the distinctions between Chris Dodd's, Bill Richardson's, and Dennis Kucinich's platforms.

To that end, here is a bit about Kucinich, who impressed me last night. He'll never win. I know that, and I believe he knows it, too. But he seems to best represent where I want this country to go in many ways. Since CNN will certainly not get his stances out there, I'm doing my part (the fact that I have a grand total of seven readers does not discourage me!).

According to Wikipedia, Kucinich's platform for 2008 includes:

Creating a single-payer system of universal health care that provides full coverage for all Americans by passage of the United States National Health Insurance Act.

The immediate withdrawal of all U.S. forces from Iraq; replacing them with an international security force.

Guaranteed quality education for all; including free pre-kindergarten and college for all who want it.

Repealing the USA PATRIOT Act.

Fostering a world of international cooperation.

Abolishing the death penalty.

Environmental renewal and clean energy.

Preventing the privatization of social security.

Providing full social security benefits at age 65.

Creating a cabinet-level "Department of Peace"

Protecting a woman's right to choose while decreasing the number of abortions performed in the U.S.

Ending the war on drugs.

Legalizing same-sex marriage.

Creating a balance between workers and corporations.

Restoring rural communities and family farms.

Strengthening gun control.

He's the only candidate who voted against the war and war funding at every turn. He's the only one who unequivocally supports gay marriage; he doesn't pussy foot around the issue and try to make some B.S. about civil unions sound like equality. He hates the patriot act. And he wants to impeach Dick Cheney! Again from Wikipedia: "He charges Cheney with manipulating the evidence of Iraq's weapons program, deceiving the nation about Iraq's connection to al-Qaeda, and threatening aggression against Iran in violation of the United Nations charter."

Ultimately, I know I'll have to throw my weight behind one of the big three, but for now I'm enjoying that someone in the race is actually saying what I'm thinking. And as a final note, did anyone else notice the lovefest between Hillary and John Edwards? Neither one wanted to disparage the other at all; maybe they're already laying the groundwork to be running mates?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Finally a fully laid assessment of a candidate that I can relate to! Over here I just get the best headlines from everything, so I haven't got a clue who I'm supposed to vote for. Guess I better head to Wikipedia and get some info!