Sunday, July 8, 2007

Second Time Books

I just got back from a long weekend at Mom’s house over 4th of July. We had all sorts of grand adventures planned, which were partially thwarted by a torrential downpour on the 5th. Luckily we had driven by a previously undiscovered used book store on the way home from the train and decided to check it out. Given my book addiction, it was an absolutely perfect rainy day activity. The store, Second Time Books, has only been there for a few months, and is absolutely adorable. Mom and I, in our book-lovin’ way, were exclaiming over every great book we found on the shelves, and the owner started really loving us. It was a mutual admiration society, as we were impressed with his selection, prices, and the very good condition of all his books. I bought 8 books for only $28!

I want independent and used book stores to succeed, and in the age of Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble, that’s no small feat. My favorite local small bookstore, Ivy’s Books, was shuttered last time I walked by, and it broke my heart a little. And though most of you have no reason to be in Mt. Laurel, NJ, I can’t stop myself from shilling for them a little: if you find yourself in that neighborhood, please check out Second Time Books!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that you put a plug - - - hell, an entire blog about the book store! I really is an amazing store, and anyone that gets to this area should stop in!

Josh said...

I'll definitely have to check that place out next time we're down there. Todd will have to drag me away, I'm sure.