Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Great Saunter

Todd and I joined my friend Kimberly for a walk around the island today. It's called the Great Saunter: each year a group of New Yorkers meet at South Street Seaport and start north with the goal of walking all around the perimeter of Manhattan. I loved seeing the city from a different perspective. There were certainly parts I had walked before but also plenty that I hadn't. We were able to stick almost exclusively to parks walking up the west side, and I especially loved the cherry blossoms in Riverside Park. They were so pretty that we even stopped for an impromptu photo shoot--the results are all on Todd's camera, but I'll update the post when I'm able to get them from him.

Todd and I quit at the George Washington Bridge, which we figured was about fourteen miles, but Kimberly walked the whole island, which absolutely deserves a major shout out. I was pooped by the time I quit, so I can only imagine how she felt as she made her way all the way down the east side.

1 comments:

kimberly kinchen said...

crippled!

It was great, but I'm definitely still in the ouch/recovery phase. Every time I sit down for more than a few minutes, getting up again is a major ordeal.

But did you look at their schedule? I may go on a few of the upcoming ones. After the great saunter they all seem like nice little strolls. At least, assuming I recover. You've been initiated - and made a much more impressive first outing then I did! - so look for me to strong arm you into a few of the upcoming walks.