Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Fantasy Life

I love New York, but there’s a part of me right now that’s fantasizing about a (slightly unrealistic) life a couple of hours outside the city. This may just be the winter doldrums speaking, but I’m currently entertaining the following: Todd and I move to a small town about two hours from the city. This being a fantasy, of course, it’s not that far from a train station so all our friends can and do come visit on the weekends. This also being a fantasy, I look fabulous despite the fact that I’m baking all the time. In fact, every weekend when we have visitors, I bake fresh bread before everyone gets up; you’d all wake up to the scent of warm bread coming out of the oven! We’d have home made honey butter to spread on it, along with preserves that our awesome new neighbors jar themselves. We’d shop at the farmer’s market, which we’d bike to, of course. We’d have a barn or something that could be turned into an art studio where Todd paints and I make pottery (apparently fantasy barns come complete with kilns these days). We’d also have a chocolate lab, possibly named Otis, to keep Camilla company.

I am fully aware of how many elements of this fantasy are loony, but at the same time, there are parts that are still compelling. Todd and I could conceivably buy a house upstate someday, whereas saving for a Manhattan home is daunting as hell. Even with the real estate crash, they are still wildly expensive. Then again, I have at least two years of grad school ahead of me before leaving the city is an option, and who knows what ideas will spring up in my mind between now and then.

7 comments:

Tina said...

If I can just add to your fantasy - an uber-hot 'Farmer Ted' type down the road for assistance in the entertaining of out of town guests.

I'm soo digging this fantasy, honey!

The home made honey butter on fresh baked bread is really appealing to me right now. *smacking lips*

Rena said...

Tina, LOL!

You can come play out this fantasy at my house. I have an oven, honey, butter and flour. I wake up early but I'll be patient waiting for my bread :)

Btw, this doesn't have to be just a fantasy.

I'm just saying...

Dorrie said...

I love the fantasy! It's a lot like mine where Mike and I live on a ranch and adopt a slew of Greyhounds. We have goats too and I make cheese from their milk. I think we both need to start playing the lottery a bit more. But, maybe yours could be a reality some day. After all, you are going to grad school in something you thought was a fantasy not too long ago..

Tina said...

Do you mean you know a 'farmer Ted' type down the road, or you'll bake for me? :) hahahahaha.

And Dorrie's right. Today's fantasies are tomorrow's realities, Grad Student. :)

Rena said...

Tina, that was directed at Tori but you're welcome to come visit anytime! If there is a 'farmer Ted' type available down the road, I'm so sorry, but he's mine :)

Anonymous said...

As someone who's living the dream 50 miles from anywhere, canning preserves, and making homemade jam, I can tell you that my fantasy is to own a tiny studio in the West Village and eat out at a different restaurant every night. :) We're destined to want what we haven't got - at least some of the time!

Tori said...

Very good point, Laura! Until I get my fantasy house I'll just visit you on the mountain. :)