Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tori Fullard, Football Fan?

At the end of last Wednesday’s class, my professor instructed us to come to this week’s session prepared to talk about our three favorite and three least favorite Superbowl commercials. I’ll confess: I’ve never watched a single Superbowl in my life. I’m not sure that I’ve actually watched a single football game in my life. It just never interested me. In the name of academic excellence, though, Todd and I put on this weekend’s game. Todd was kind enough to explain the basics to me (having never watched a game, you can imagine that the rules were also something to which I never devoted much mental energy), and we settled in. After the first quarter we ordered in, just like the rest of America. We ordered sushi, which I understand isn’t standard Superbowl fare, but at least it’s healthier than the wings, pizza, and chips that we were culturally encouraged to eat.

The surprising thing throughout the evening was that I was actually entertained for most of it. I did admit that a 3-quarter game would suit my football attention span better, but I was shocked to be interested at all. If it had been more of a runaway, perhaps I would have maintained my bored-by-football status. As it was, I was kind of into it. Wonders never cease.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Does this mean you'll watch the Broncos with me the next time you visit? :) I can't promise any sushi, however.

Tori said...

I make no promises! It's still more likely that I'll be in the other room reading, but at least now we know it's a possibility. :)

And I took a sushi-making class a while ago. We can make our own sushi!

cliebs said...

WOW! I never thought I would see the day.

Unknown said...

OMG!! Who'd a ever thought! Never in a million years! lol

Tina said...

Wow. What a girl will do in the name of education! I'm impressed!

But the real question is which commercial was the best? I can't remember a single minute of any game I ever saw, and yet somehow managed to memorize the commercials.

Waaaaazzzzzzuuuupppp????? :)

kk said...

Ha. I didn't watch but when I heard cheers erupting from the apartment down the hall, the 3rd time I did call Brooke to ask her if she was watching and what the score was. I was definitely tempted to march down the hall and become one of the crowd. And I really don't like football anymore.