Thursday, July 2, 2009

4th of July Plans

Is everyone ready for Independence Day? Are barbeques primed and ready to go? Sparklers purchased?

I’m abstaining from most of the July 4th traditions this year and heading home to see my Mom for the weekend instead. Fireworks are ok, but in between bursts of color I always start wondering about all the debris and smoke and environmental damage. If I ever did the research, I’d probably find that in the grander scheme of things, there are a lot of bigger environmental issues to worry about. Still, for some reason it always pops into my head during fireworks displays.

So I’ll skip that and instead Mom and I will do a little shopping (I’m looking for some versatile, comfortable, work-appropriate dresses), get our toes prettified with a pedicure, and catch up. I haven’t been home since Christmas, mostly because school started in January and it took me a while to find a balance and some time. Homework is light this week, though, and I’m looking forward to a little time away. Add in a Saturday brunch with Caryn, and it gets even better.

2 comments:

cliebs said...

Can't wait to see you!

Tina said...

Your weekend sounds lovely! :) To be honest, I miss the fireworks. I only ever think of the environmental consequence when the smoke wafts out over the river.

Still - I miss the bbq's and fireworks. A lot. :)

Although the thought of a pedicure and shopping with Mom sounds absolutely fab! Enjoy - and please tell Caryn hi for me!!

xoxox