Thursday, July 30, 2009

NYC: Ghost Town

One of the reasons New York has ceased to be the cat's pajamas for me is that so many of my friends are no longer here. Your cross-country scatter is great when I'm looking for a get-away in the mountains, by the sea, in another city, or in a small town. It's not so great when I want a spontaneous brunch on a Sunday morning.

I can now count Columbus, Ohio as another place where I have an ex-New Yorker friend. On Saturday, Anne will be U-Hauling on out of the city and into a three-year stint in the state that's tall in the middle and round on both ends. I know everyone is making the choices that are best for them individually, but cumulatively, it's more than a little sad.

3 comments:

Tina said...

I'm sorry I jumped ... continents, and left you. I totally feel your pain. I've tried to copy your brunch a month idea and it just doesn't fly.

I miss the days when we had at least 8 friends to call on for spontaneous lunches and we were guaranteed a drop-by at least once a month.

ellebee said...

I too, miss the days when we could send out an e-mail at 4 p.m. and get at least 15 people for drinks that evening at No Idea. :( Much harder to do from the top of the mountain and when those folks are scattered around the globe.

Rena said...

I felt that way too before I picked up and moved. I'm glad that I didn't move too far away so at least I'm easy to visit :)