Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Ian McEwan, funny man

Tonight, Ian McEwan read from his new book On Chesil Beach at the 92nd Street Y. The novel has gotten mixed to negative reviews, but McEwan is a wonderful reader and gave great voice to the selections he read. He read for almost an hour, introducing his two main characters and then reading a hefty selection from each of their perspectives. Though the poor review still give me pause, hearing him tonight reinvigorates me to read Amsterdam and Enduring Love, which have been on my to-be-read list for a while.

It didn’t surprise me that I enjoyed the reading, but what I didn’t anticipate was how funny McEwan would be during the Q&A. His sense of humor is a bit dry, soft pedaled, and thoroughly enjoyable.

A few of McEwan’s thoughts…
On independent bookstores: “Intense outposts of civilization.”
On reading groups: “The lifeblood of literary fiction.”
On how much of his work is autobiographical (paraphrased): It wouldn’t be possible for a Martian to write about sex on earth without having experienced sex with an earthling. I freely admit to having had sex with earthlings.

Writers who have influenced him include: Saul Bellows, Phillip Roth, Norman Mailer, John Updike, and William S. Burroughs, and he relies on visual details to evoke emotions in his writing. With up to 40% of the brain involved in visual processing, he believes these details are the most effective method of reaching his readers.

In addition to appreciating the opportunity to hear a wonderful novelist read from his work and speak about his experiences as a writer, I love that so many other New Yorkers also appreciate it. Waiting for the reading to begin, I started talking with the woman next to me about our favorite books, respective book club reading choices, and the new movie adaptation of Lady Chatterley’s Lover. These random connections are priceless.

0 comments: