Friday, June 8, 2007

Modern Love Redux

A follow-up to my previous Modern Love post: We had our book group meeting last night with our smallest group yet. I'm not sure if it was a product of summer vacations and itchiness to be outside in the park instead of inside a bar talking about a book or if people didn't show because they didn't like the book or what. Regardless, there were only four of us, but we did manage to have a more spirited conversation about the book than I anticipiated. There were a lot of, "I liked this one," "This one was really sad," "I really identified with that one," type of comments, but we also had a nice conversation about (of course) "Truly, Madly, Guiltily." Whether you applaud Ayelet Waldman's candor or want to run her through, you have to agree she's a good conversation starter. A copy of her essay is online here if anyone's interested.

We decided to read Atonement for the next meeting, which I read several years ago. Since I'm awful at remembering details this long after reading something, it'll be tough for me to contribute much. Given my recent 92nd Street Y/Ian McEwan evening, though, I'm glad to be talking about his work.

0 comments: