Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bring on the bike stands

I just read this article about a proposal to require bike storage in all new construction throughout New York, and the idea really makes me smile. Last spring when I was looking to buy a bike, the warning I heard most from other cyclists was that bikes are stolen nonstop in the city. I was frustrated that my office building was so unaccommodating, and that was a big part of why I opted for the more expensive foldable bike that I ultimately bought (better storage in a small apartment was obviously the other reason). To have a secure place to park my bike both in an apartment building and at a workplace would go along way toward allowing more New Yorkers to ride. And the more of us there are on the streets, the safer riding will become.

3 comments:

Tina said...

I like it! And the comments at the bottom of the article about no one using the bike lanes and blaming bikes for the traffic congestion - priceless! Does just make ya shake your head some days, doesn't it?

Kristinn said...

Did I tell you that Tim bought a folding bike too? That was his early Christmas/birthday present... :D His bike ride from home to work is only 5 minutes (all downhill) and it's only 5 minutes to Gabe's kindergarten as well. Pretty sweet, hunh?

Tori said...

That's great that Tim got a bike! I can't wait for it to warm up enough for me to ride again.