Monday, March 10, 2008

My NPR can kick your NPR's ass

Yesterday was a museum-y kind of day for Todd and me. We went to the Cai Guo-Qiang exhibit at the Guggenheim. I could appreciate it but didn't really like it. I very non-artily called Cai Guo-Qiang the Michael Bay of art and boldly claimed that he was nothing more than a guy who likes to blow shit up. Even as I was saying it, I knew that I was over simplifying. But really--this is just a guy who likes to blow shit up.

We then went over to the Whitney to check out the Biennial, which was, through-and-through, a disappointment. There was one piece that I thought was incredible, combining video, music, and a structure in a really interesting and suspenseful way. But one provocative piece out of three floors of art was pretty disappointing.

More intriguing than anything the Whitney had to offer was our discovery of another NPR (this one stands for Neighborhood instead of National Public Radio) on the upper east side. It's
an "independent, artist-run radio project committed to providing an alternative media platform for artists, activists, musicians, and community members." We saw two guys sitting in this storefront window doing a radio show. The sign on the door invited passers-by to come in, so we went. One of the guys hanging out there talked to us about what they're trying to do and invited us to do a show. I wasn't quite ready to become the next Brian Lehrer just yet, but Todd signed up for a half hour shift a week and a half from now. I'm not sure yet what he'll do, but I'll post about it so anyone interested can tune in. They broadcast mostly via the internet, so anyone can hear it.

4 comments:

Tina said...

How very very cool! I miss NPR so much! And Neighborhood PR sounds fab! Let me know the details, and I'll try to tune in - if it's not the middle of my night. :)

Kristinn said...

That is SO radical! That Todd has moxie! I like him and I don't even know him. :)

Unknown said...

Definitely let me know when it's on . . . I would never have the nerve to do it, but I love that he did/does! :)

kk said...

Did I miss this?!