Sunday, April 20, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Jen and I took in the latest Apatow-approved comedy last night. Forgetting Sarah Marshall was written by and stars Freaks and Geeks alum / How I Met Your Mother star Jason Segel.

It’s not the most side-splitting comedy I’ve ever seen, but I laughed out loud several times and was moved by the humanity Segel brought to his role of heartbroken dumpee. His willingness to embrace the awkward as a means to laughter is really something, and his commitment to the cause is evident from the very first scene of the movie: mistaking his girlfriend’s announcement that she’s on her way over for a bootie call, he instead gets dumped while totally naked. I mean, full-frontal naked. He keeps his clothes on for most of the rest of the movie, which was no doubt a relief to the cluster of If-I-Don’t-Yell-“EW!”-It-Must-Mean-I’m-Gay guys sitting behind us. Seriously, what’s wrong with so many guys?

It’s hard for me to recommend any movie for the current New York City price of $12 per ticket. But Segel and his supporting cast (Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis, and Russell Brand especially) are definitely worth checking out at some point.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked this movie - we've been debating whether or not to see it in the theater & with your recommendation, I think we will!

Josh said...

Todd and I saw it yesterday, and we liked it too. We decided it's the law of diminishing returns, and each movie in the Apatow canon is a little less funny than the one before it. Overall, though, it was charming and funny, and the cast was great. AND we saw it in our home state of NJ at a 1:30 matinee, so it was only $8.50 - what a bargain!

Tori said...

I think Superbad was one of the funniest from this crew, so I don't know if they're each getting less and less funny...I hope not, because I'm holding out a lot of hope for Pineapple Express. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree that Superbad was probably the funniest so far, and that this one isn't quite first-tier, but, you know, B-squad Apatow is still pretty great (though I have an abiding, totally-bought-the-2.5-hour-DVD-version love of Walk Hard that I noticed you did not share at all).

Tori, did you ever watch Veronica Mars? I LOVE Kristen Bell because of that show so my appreciation of her was hobbled a little by thinking "man, I miss Veronica Mars" (though she was fine in this, and I liked that her character wasn't just a straight-up harpy).

Tori said...

I did watch Veronica Mars, and I loved it--especially season 1!