Friday, October 3, 2008

The Cloisters

Laura and Nate were kind enough to let me tag along on the first portion of the New York chapter of their vacation today. After a sushi lunch in my neighborhood, it was onto the subway to visit Fort Tryon Park and the Cloisters. After all my time in the city, the Cloisters is one museum I'd never been to, so it was nice to finally make the trip.

The most famous art at the Cloisters are the Unicorn Tapestries. My favorite, though, was a wood carving of the Virgin Mary's deathbed. She has eleven apostles around her mourning her passing. Missing is Thomas who, characteristically, doubts that she ascended to heaven until an angel drops the Virgin's girdle down to earth to prove it. The angel drops her girdle! Is that not the weirdest story ever?!

0 comments: