Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Contemporary art but no apples

We woke up this morning to some rain and general dreariness outside. We had a half-baked idea to go apple picking that didn't come together since the weather wasn't cooperating. I realized it was all for the best when I thought about how heavy all those apples would be to carry home, anyway.

Instead we hit MASS MoCA, Massachusetts' museum of contemporary art. I find contemporary art pretty hit or miss. I want to be able to have a reaction to a piece of art on my own before the write-up, audio guide, or tour guide tells me what it's supposed to all mean, and there are times when I just have no reaction at all to modern art. There were a few pieces that left me cold at MASS MoCA, but mostly it was excellent. There was an amazing light instillation that I feel would be impossible to describe but was really, really amazing. And we really enjoyed the biospheres. Very experiential! Check us out:

1 comments:

Tina said...

I know exactly what you mean about contemporary art. I decided I would stop reading the descriptions altogether and I liked it much more. And I love the biospheres pics. Looks like such a good day! Even without apples.