Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

  • Orange and black are Halloween colors because orange is associated with the Fall harvest and black is associated with darkness and death.
  • Jack o’ lanterns originated in Ireland where people placed candles in hollowed-out turnips to keep away spirits and ghosts on the Samhain holiday.
  • Halloween was brought to North America by immigrants from Europe who would celebrate the harvest around a bonfire, share ghost stories, sing, dance and tell fortunes.
  • The ancient Celts thought that spirits and ghosts roamed the countryside on Halloween night. They began wearing masks and costumes to avoid being recognized as human.
  • Bobbing for apples is thought to have originated from the roman harvest festival that honors Pamona, the goddess of fruit trees.
  • Black cats were once believed to be witch's familiars who protected their powers.
  • October 31st, the last day of the Celtic calendar, was originally a pagan holiday, honoring the dead. Halloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.
PS: I haven't fact checked any of the above, so Shannon will have to correct me if any of this is wrong.

1 comments:

Spooky said...

It seemed more or less accurate. I don't know about the dates and I'd have to check the countries of origin for different traditions, but there's nothing in there that ruffled my feathers and made me feel like I had to comment... until, of course, you told me that you were using me instead of doing your own fact checking. ;)