Friday, January 11, 2008

Affinity

Affinity is the latest book I've read by Sarah Waters; it's also the last I'll read for a while. She's only written four novels and I've now read them all. Until she gets busy, my reading list will be Waters-free. Sadly, though, this most recent one was actually the least satisfying of the four. I find her style highly readable and enjoyed the book a lot, but it's structure and plot felt eerily similar to Fingersmith. Both feature pairs of women with secrets in their past. In each, the women form a formidable bond that is tested by their respective histories. And both books give their competing protagonists ample room to tell their own story. To be fair, Affinity was published first, so maybe it's really Fingersmith that is derivative, but I didn't read them in that order, so it didn't feel that way. Plus, I just liked Fingersmith better. There were more surprises along the way and the characters felt more flesh and blood.

I'd recommend Waters as an author, but I'd suggest Fingersmith, The Night Watch, or Tipping the Velvet first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting cover but can't say I have a feel for what the book is about. I guess I will look for it next time I am in the store.

Anonymous said...

I just bought Tipping the Velvet... I'll let you know what I think - it's my Waters.