Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Welcome back!

I’ve been something of a slacker in the blogging department lately—sorry! I’m back now, though, and hope January will prove more blog-productive than the end of December was.

I am back at work (and hence, back to blogging, apparently) for the first time in ten days. The break was wonderful and, of course, felt much shorter than it really was. And, for ten whole days to myself, you’d think I’d have more to report. Mom and I drove up to Massachusetts for a visit with my sisters and brother-in-law for Christmas. Said brother-in-law’s mom and grandmother were also there, as was a friend of my sister’s and her grandmother. We have a teeny, tiny family, and it was a really nice treat to have a bigger group for the holiday festivities. And, thanks to my family’s generosity and my mom’s discovery of an awesome used bookstore in her neighborhood, I don’t think I will need to buy any new books in all of 2008. I seriously have a mountain of to-be-read novels and non-fiction. I love it! I finished The Emperor’s Children over the break and am about twenty pages shy of finishing Affinity right now. Reviews of both to come.

Between Christmas and New Year’s I lounged around a lot doing a great deal of reading and watching Netflix (a documentary about the font Helvetica was very interesting, and the adaptation of The Namesake was a bit of a snoozer. The book was much better). I did get out of the house to see the MOMA’s’ exhibit of George Seurat’s drawings with Todd. They are absolutely amazing! I encourage all the New Yorkers reading this to check it out, and soon. The exhibit closes this month, and it’s really not to be missed. Seurat’s drawings and etchings, though mostly charcoal/single color, play with light, depth, and texture in a really wonderful way. They offer a fascinating counterpoint to Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, which was really the only work of his I was familiar with before seeing this.

New Year’s Eve found me at Drew’s house on Long Island again, as I’ve done for the past several years. His party was smaller this year, giving it a more intimate feel than it’s had in years past. I was really glad Todd and Josh and Todd were all there, too, to ring in 2008.

Now I’m back at work and trying to remember what all I was working on when I left here on the 21st....

3 comments:

rg said...

Glad you are back! Too bad you didn't like The Namesake. I thought it was great, but I didn't read the book. Happy New Year :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun, relaxing vacation! Glad you are blogging again. :)

Alexander said...

Please, read my e-book available from www.catyourway.com and then email to me your comments. I will publish the best comments on my site. Happy New Year!