Monday, September 15, 2008

Applied!

It’s official. I’ve submitted my application, paid my application fee, and told my letters of recommendation people how much I appreciate them. I am now under consideration by the Master of Science in Strategic Communication admissions team. And in possibly as few as two weeks (but much more likely around six weeks), I’ll know whether I’m admitted.

I have mixed feelings about returning to school. Some of the classes look really interesting and I’m eager to learn more about things like branding and communicating in politics. Maybe if I give up on academia I can start a new career as a communications officer for an Obama-like campaign at some point down the road. Also, I’ve lately been recognizing just how many of my friends and peers have advanced degrees. My BS is all well and good, but I’m starting to feel a little like I’m behind the curve which isn’t a feeling I relish.

On the other hand, I do love having time to read novels, watch a marathon of Mad Men, or just hang out with friends. This program will take up a lot of the time I now to devote to that type of activity. Still, I think I’m the kind of person who takes better advantage of free time when I have less of it, so my fingers are crossed that it will somehow all still fit into my schedule, even if not in quite the same ratio. This program is fairly flexible, too, so once I get a good feel for it, I’ll be able to adjust the number of classes I take each semester to best fit my life.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me. I’ll let you all know when I get that acceptance letter!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I would never, ever say that the application process was more difficult than finishing grad school itself, it was a huge hurdle and felt really, really good once all was signed, sealed and delivered. I hope you feel accomplished; you should.

(kk)

Tina said...

Congratulations!!! What a fantastic thing. Very very cool!

Rena said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you :)