Saturday, September 27, 2008

Made it to the Cape

I got to the Cape today! The first thing Jen and I did was get some lunch. I'm all about the seafood while I'm here, so it was clam chowdah for me: I'm not kidding, it was spelled "chowdah" on the menu. I'm learning that people on the Cape are all about the cutesy spellings. I've also seen "movy," as in, "for show times, call: xxx-xxx-movy," "Kountry Korner," and so much more.

Weird spellings for weird spellings' sake really isn't my thing, but it's about the only thing that isn't fabulous here. We couldn't find our way onto the Kennedy Compound--not for lack of trying--but did drive through many a private ("Do not enter" and "Turn around now" marked) areas. Some of the houses here, along with their settings, are mind bogglingly beautiful. I know that in New York there are penthouses that could fit a hundred studios and people who spend more on a single dinner or handbag than I do on rent, but it's all kept out of view. The rich in New York are snooty enough not to want to ruin their $2,000 meal or extravagant shopping experience by being near the masses. These incredible houses, though, are right their for the gaping at (assuming you ignore all the "Turn around now" signs). I don't often fantasize about being rich. As long as I have enough to not stress out and take a good vacation here and there, I'm pretty good to go. But something about seeing these homes (one complete not only with crashing waves but a personal lighthouse-turned-artist-studio!) makes me jealous.

1 comments:

Tina said...

That sounds fantastic - well, not the envy-inspiring wealth, but the lighthouse turned studio and seafood (however badly spelled). :)