Friday, September 19, 2008

A Novel Idea

So I found myself in a bit of a blogging slump at the end of last week (so I’m playing catch up now). And, I figure: what better way to work myself out of a writing slump than with a giant writing project! A few days ago I got the first email from the NaNoWriMo people. National Novel Writing Month isn’t until November, but they’re wise to send out a pep talk early and give us all time to talk ourselves in to trying for 50,000 words in 30 days again.

I’ve decided not to abandon last year’s novel and just keep going. I’ve worked on it (extremely sporadically) throughout the year, and I like some of the characters I’ve concocted and the messes they’ve gotten themselves into (pause for a debate about the idea of characters taking on lives of their own and surprising their authors). I didn’t make it to 50,000 words last November and am somewhat doubtful that I’ll get there this year, but I like the external prompt to revisit the work and pick it up again.

Anyone else who wants to participate should let me know. We can be NaNoWriMo friends and be each others' cheerleaders.

1 comments:

Kristinn said...

I think I'd like to join you on this adventure. Keep me posted. I believe I may have temporarily lost my mind, but I love the idea.