Thursday, September 11, 2008

Style

I don't think I have my own personal style. I don't mean that I'm walking around in culottes and Uggs every day (apologies to all culotte/Uggs lovers), but rather that what I wear feels fairly generic.

I talked about this with Jen when she was in town a few weeks ago. She had read about a service where, for $500, a couple of women would interview you and then give you the two word description of your style (e.g., crisply bohemian, colorfully modern, etc.). Jen had already identified her own style in this model before we hung out (hers is whimsically graphic, for those who are curious), so she was able to turn her attention to me. The process, of course, differed, since Jen knows me and didn't really need to interview me. She also didn't charge me $500!

In the end, we settled on: bold simplicity. I tend not to wear things that are too flashy, chunky, or trendy. At the same time, I'm by no means color averse or drawn toward the conservative. I love the images these two words conjured for me: basic streamlined outfits with one accessory that pops or an element that really stands out feels right for me.

Tuesday was the first time I felt like I really executed my newly defined style. The monochromatic black dress with the fun scarf and simple jewelry really hit it, and I want to start pulling this off more often. It will be a slow progress as I need ot start weeding out my closet and replenishing it with items that meet this goal.

One final note: I recently read an article about favorites and the role favorites should play in our lives. In terms of clothing, means no longer wearing anything you don't love. I have a pair of pants that shrunk the first time I washed them. Now when I wear them I look like I'm waiting for a flood, and yet I still put them on about once a month. And all day long I think how bad I look. Why do I keep wearing them?! To wear only favorites requires, again, a big closet clean out. But I'm going to try to be smart about only buying pieces I'm over the moon about. Smart mixing and matching of fewer but really, really good pieces is my new way forward.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

You look so cute! I did a huge closet purge right before my trip last month...it's almost therapeutic :) Good luck!

Tina said...

I love that outfit - stunning. And the description suits you completely! And, I love that you use the word 'pop' in your description. That's the first word I think of when I think of your fashion sense after our chats in Paris. :)

Kristinn said...

You look so beautiful! Tall and slender and striking! An old friend used to tell me to use the rule of 1 star during the day, 2 at night, 3 never. What she meant was 1 flashy thing -- or 1 thing you really love; it was ok to wear 2 things you really love at night, but never 3. She was a riot and I still kinda live by that simple rule... :D

Jen said...

Wow, you look so gorgeous! I think that outfit is definitely a good example of your personal style, which you absolutely do have. Those fabulous shoes with the tattoo peeking out--so awesome! :o)

Spooky said...

First of all, really cute outfit! You look fantastic, and it is really very you.

Second, I'm in a fashion purge phase as well. I don't know that I have such a clearly defined goal, but I definitely need to do something about my wardrobe. I got rid of a bunch of stuff before I moved, and just did another, somewhat less drastic purge a couple of days ago.

Rena said...

You look gorgeous!