Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The election

Todd and I went to a canvassing training session last night. It was put on by a local democratic group organizing trips to Pennsylvania (the closest battleground state) in the next few weeks. Frankly, the training was kind of annoying. The place was super hot, and since it was also over crowded we were standing for the hour or so we were there. The people doing the training also seemed more than a little clueless about how to actually structure a training of this sort. What was most aggravating but also most interesting, though, were the other people there to be trained.

I have never in my life seen such an argumentative group! People were intent on answering each other’s questions and not letting the official trainers do it, they spoke over each other, and they all had very different and very strong opinions about what the right approach was to any given situation. It made for a chaotic experience, and I was glad to leave when I did. The positive spin on the whole thing, though, is that the people there were clearly passionate. They all cared so much about Obama winning the White House that they literally couldn’t shut up about it.

Tonight I’m signing up for their trips on 10/4 and 10/11, and I wish I could do more. I honestly can’t believe that the election is as close as it is, and—again—I find myself at an utter loss when trying to figure out could make people vote republican. We’re in the midst of an unpopular war; we’ve lost the respect of most heads of state; energy costs are through the roof; people can’t afford healthcare; not to mention that the economy is in the fucking toilet even worse than anyone could have imagined. McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time! He helped get us into this fucked up situation in the first place. Now that the country is kind of in the shitter, he can’t even decide which way is up. In one moment he says that “the fundamentals of our economy are strong.” In the next breath he’s saying the economy is in “total crisis.” And, by his own admission, "the issue of economics is something that I've really never understood as well as I should.” And if that somehow isn’t convincing enough, let’s not forget that he’s 72 years old, and the average male life span is 75, not to mention that he has a history with cancer and won’t release his medical records. Statistically speaking, the odds are that he won’t survive his first term if he’s elected.

Which brings us to VP wannabe Sarah Palin. She has no foreign policy experience. None. Zip. Being geographically close to Russia doesn’t make her an expert on foreign affairs any more than living on an island makes me a marine biologist. She crows about her daughter’s “decision” (decisions can only be made if one has a choice) to keep her baby while removing all options for all other American women. She wants to ban books and teach creationism in science classes. She doesn’t believe that humans contributed to global climate change. She doesn’t know what the Bush doctrine is or that Iraq had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks of 9/11. A look at her record in Alaska shows that she has, at the very least, questionable ethics. And she’s a full blown liar (see: Bridge to Nowhere; earmarks). Then again, McCain is spouting these same lies, so I guess their ticket is on message, even if the message is complete and utter bullshit.

I’m sorry—I know that 99% of the people who read this are just as committed to an Obama victory as I am. I’m preaching to the choir, but I just can’t help myself. I’m so frustrated that with absolutely everything that is happening in this country there is even a chance that McCain could win and we could continue our downward spiral.

Please, if you know a democrat who isn’t registered to vote, send them here.

If you live in or near a swing state, please consider spending a couple of days canvassing. A few hours of time is a small price to pay for a president who will change this country for the better.

If you are lucky enough to have a few dollars to spare, please give to the Obama campaign.

And come November 4, vote for Obama!

5 comments:

Kristinn said...

Yep, you're preaching to the choir! Truth is: people are stupid and lazy. They don't bother to read fine print or check into details. The election is all about the broadest slogans -- like America First. Although McCain & Palin CLEARLY do not put America First, A LOT of morons will vote based on a slogan. I read this this morning via email and had to laugh. Did you see it last week? Ebert's column on Palin: http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews/1156080,091008ebertpalin.article It truly is all about stupidity.

Kristinn said...

Um, ha! Talking about stupid -- I suppose I should include myself since it's Country First...not America First -- same damn difference! :)

Anonymous said...

preaching to the choir, perhaps, but also trying to recruit the choir into the army, no?

Big props to you.

I think a big reason that I can't handle a return to grassroots organizing is because I have so little tolerance for the kind of petty infighting that can plague those kinds of activities. The best organizers are the ones who learn to accept that gracefully and find some way to not let it make them crazy. I'm not quite there yet.

(kk)

Anonymous said...

Good job you guys! It's great that you are both getting out there and volunteering. I can't wait to hear more stories like this...

Re: preaching to the choir - keep it up! We can't afford to become complacent (see: 2004).

Anonymous said...

I just spoke to my mom, who lives in FLA. I called in part out of duty but in part b/c I wasn't totally sure they were registered or who they were planning on voting for, and I was going to make an Obama pitch if needed. She and my stepdad (who is registered Republican) have Obama signs in their yard and stickers on their car. I'm sure there are plenty more older white southerners (they are retired but my mom grew up in FLA and my stepdad has lived there most of his adult life) who are planning on voting for Obama, but it was heartening to listen to my mother talk about why McCain scares the bejesus out of them and why they don't trust him.

(kk)