Monday, December 1, 2008

American Gods

I finished Neil Gaiman’s American Gods over Thanksgiving. Shannon, Veronica, and Mike had told me both individually and in a literary gang-up that I should really read it. I hemmed and hawed, thinking that it sounded slightly more fantastical than my typical fare. I worked a compromise, telling them that if one of them got it for me as a gift I’d read it. And voila! A copy from Shannon arrived for my birthday in September.

The bar was set pretty high, since all three had raved about it, and I’m not sure that American Gods really lived up to the hype. That’s not to say that it wasn’t a very good read, though. The concept is extremely interesting, and Gaiman is certainly engaging. I won’t give it the absolute rave that Shannon, Veronica, and Mike did, but if you get it as a gift, it’s definitely worth a read.

1 comments:

Dorrie said...

I haven't read this, but I do count a Neil Gaiman book as one of my all time favorites. Try reading "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's hilarious