Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Stimulating the Economy

I know it's not even Thanksgiving (though it is close) so all my Christmas-related posts are a little early. That said, you're getting another one.

I'm obsessing a little about Christmas this year for a couple of reasons. The most pedestrian is that with how busy this fall is, I'm worried that I'll forget to do something or run out of time. So I tried to start everything early and stay completely organized. Todd's taken my anal retentiveness in stride, for which I'm very grateful.

The other reason I'm extra thoughtful about the holidays this year is a very, very good one: Todd and the kids are joining me and my family for Christmas. There are a lot of people who want to spend the day with them, so I'm pretty jazzed that I'm the lucky winner. That means, though, that the holiday is a totally different ball of wax for me. In the past, I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon for my tiny family (we all just want books, pretty much) and called it a day. It was, compared to most people's holiday shopping, no muss, no fuss.

Tonight Todd and I went to Target in the Bronx for some stocking stuffers and lots of shopping for the kids. Our goal, really, was to get Dylan a birthday present, and we totally failed. Todd is braving the Times Square Toys-R-Us tomorrow for that. So instead of the specific item we were looking for, we filled — and I mean filled — a cart with games, toys, and other treats. I barely even knew what was in the bottom of the cart by the time we were done.

I'm still trying to figure out what to get Todd from the kids. I assume that's now my responsibility, and it's another new one for me. Do I take them shopping and let them pick something out? Do I just tell them that I got something for him from them? Dylan, especially, is old enough to have opinions about this, so I want to give them some control without ceding all of it myself.

All of this will work itself out in the end, and I'm really excited to have so many people I love together for Christmas. I know every year won't work out like this, and I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

3 comments:

Dorrie said...

When I was little (and sometimes even now), my dad would take each of us girls separately for lunch and shopping. We would get stuff for the other sister and our mom and it was always a nice time. I suggest you see if you can set something up like that with the kids, even if you take them both at the same time. I'm sure they'd have fun picking out something for Todd.

Unknown said...

First of all I want to second the happiness of having Todd and the kids joining us for Christmas this year!

And I love Dorrie's idea of you taking the kids out to lunch, then to shop for Dad. Makes it a special day for everyone! Whether you all go together (time constraints) or each separate, maybe it could become one of your Xmas traditions!

Tina said...

I Love Dorrie's idea, as well. And I'm really glad that you're getting Todd and his family for Christmas. I'm sure it will be absolutely wonderful!