Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

This mash up has gotten a lot of buzz, and the plot is pretty much right there in the title, so I'll spare you all a rehash of what this book is all about.

If you're a purist, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is not for you. While Seth Grahame-Smith has obviously taken pains to keep the broad strokes the same as in Jane Austen's original, he's added new zombie-fighting personality traits for Elizabeth Bennet and her sisters. A secondary character contracts the "strange plague" and becomes a undead herself. Characters debate the warrior training available in China versus Japan. Elizabeth and Jane are still BFFs. Lydia is still a flirt. Mr. Darcy is still proud, and Wickham is still a liar. But there is no mistaking it: this is not the Pride and Prejudice Ms. Austen had in mind.

I went in ready to accept the irreverance, and found myself liking this book very much. I believe a familiarity with and affection for the original helped. Without that, this might have just seemed like a weird combo. With that background, though, I appreciated how Grahame-Smith worked in such disparate elements while maintaining both the sense and sensibility of the original.

3 comments:

ellebee said...

I'm glad you liked this - I thought it was a really fun read! I'm not so sure about Sense & Sensibility & Seamonsters, though...

Tori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tori said...

I've heard that Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters takes a lot more liberty with the original novel. So far the buzz hasn't been that great. I also think this is kind of a one-trick pony. Now that I've experienced P&P&Z, I'm not sure how much more entertainment I can get out of the concept.

I'd love to know if you end up reading it, though.