Monday, November 23, 2009

Time to Purge

I think it's time to clean out my closets again. I did it in the spring when I was moving, but there is so much more I can give to Good Will. I have so many pieces that I look at and think, I don't want to wear that. What's the point of keeping it my closet then?

We all think of spring cleaning, but I think fall cleaning is better in some ways. If I give away a bunch of good but ill-fitting/not-my-style clothes right now, someone might be able to snap them up for Christmas gifts or to wear to their holiday party or something . It feels especially right to offer up all that I don't want this year when so many people have pinched budgets.

I'm also feeling a little claustrophobic in our apartment. We just have too much stuff. I want to minimize — fewer nick-nacks, emptier drawers, cleaner shelves. When I'm overwhelmed at work I often take a few minutes to clean off my desk. The clean space makes my brain feel clearer, too. I'm hoping the same will happen at home.

2 comments:

Tina said...

That's a VERY good idea.

And it reminds me that I don't have to spend a mint for X-mas party dresses - charity shops are the best first stop for a dress I'll probably spill wine on anyway. :)

Rena said...

I really wanted to have that swap party two years ago but it never happened. Giving to good will is always a great thing to do!