Sunday, June 1, 2008

Are you in an exclusive relationship with your current novel?

I was trying to make my way through Absurdistan last week for my book club on Wednesday night (result: failure), but accidentally left it sitting on Todd's dresser after visiting him. Getting ready for work the next day I realized the book was gone; I couldn't face my commute book-free, so I had to start another one. I usually only read one book at a time, so it's been a little new for me to bounce back and forth between them.

It got me wondering if most other people are into book exclusivity, or if you all, like Todd, zig-zag from book to book and keep several going at once.

4 comments:

Veronica said...

Though I have to admit, I occasionally will have more than one book going at a time. Usually this is when I've got one slow book -- usually non-fiction -- that I just can't read for an hour and a half straight. And since that's how long my commute is, I tend to bring another light fiction with me at the same time in those instances.
But usually, I'm a one-book-at-a-time girl.

kk said...

I want to be faithful, I really do. But there's just too much temptation out there, and I can't resist. Efforts to reform are met only with vicious backlashes that result in ever greater promiscuity.

Spooky said...

I'm a one novel at a time kind of girl, but like Veronica, I tend to read two or three books at once if one or more of them is a piece of non-fiction, or, as has been the case recently, a collection of fairy tales.

Anonymous said...

I'm usually mixing it up at least a little -- though I tend to avoid reading two novels at once. It's usually a story collection and a novel or a nonfiction book and a novel.

Good quiz question! I might adapt/steal this for the FWR blog...