Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How to be Good

A while back, I found myself with oodles of new books to read, all courtesy of Rena who was doing some spring cleaning. I read one of her offerings, Nick Hornby’s How To Be Good, last week. In my experience, Hornby is typically a fun read with an engaging style and prose that you can speed through, and that certainly holds true here. His characters don’t all ring true, but they are all in service of his plot and, more importantly, themes.

  • What makes someone a “good” person?
  • Why is getting just what we want often so disappointing?
  • Can you not want to be married to someone just because he refuses to make fun of something that is absolutely and utterly mock-able?
How To Be Good is funny, fast, and good summer fare.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Maybe I need to re-read this one, because I liked it, but felt like all the characters were a bit flat.

Tori said...

For what it's worth, I don't think it's worth a re-read.