Thursday, November 29, 2007

The 10 Best Books of 2007 (so says the NYT)

The New York Times recently put out their list of this year's best books. I've read a whopping none of them. How'd the rest of you do?

Fiction

MAN GONE DOWN, by Michael Thomas.
Black Cat/Grove/Atlantic, paper, $14.

OUT STEALING HORSES, by Per Petterson. Translated by Anne Born.
Graywolf Press, $22.

THE SAVAGE DETECTIVES, by Roberto BolaƱo. Translated by Natasha Wimmer.
Farrar, Straus & Giroux, $27.

THEN WE CAME TO THE END, by Joshua Ferris.
Little, Brown & Company, $23.99.

TREE OF SMOKE, by Denis Johnson.
Farrar, Straus & Giroux, $27.

Nonfiction

IMPERIAL LIFE IN THE EMERALD CITY: Inside Iraq's Green Zone, by Rajiv Chandrasekaran.
Alfred A. Knopf, $25.95; Vintage, paper, $14.95.

LITTLE HEATHENS: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression, by Mildred Armstrong Kalish.
Bantam Books, $22.

THE NINE: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court, by Jeffrey Toobin.
Doubleday, $27.95.

THE ORDEAL OF ELIZABETH MARSH: A Woman in World History, by Linda Colley.
Pantheon Books, $27.50.

THE REST IS NOISE: Listening to the Twentieth Century, by Alex Ross.
Farrar, Straus & Giroux, $30

5 comments:

Tina said...

Funny - I was looking at this earlier today and reached exactly the same conclusion. *sigh* ....

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm at zero as well. :( I'm still trying to get to the top ten from 1999...

Michelle said...

I haven't even heard of any of those books :(

Anonymous said...

What are these books? I haven't even heard of them! Well, OK, I have heard of the Emerald City one, because I saw John Stewart interview the author. But that's about as close as I got to "reading" any of them.

Anonymous said...

I'm still working on the literary canon from college.