Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Documentary Recommendation

Last night I watched the Werner Herzog documentary, Little Dieter Needs to Fly. Herzog (the filmmaker behind the also amazing Grizzly Man) introduces Dieter Dengler, a German-born American who wanted nothing more as a boy than to be a pilot. This dream ultimately leads him to the Air Force, then the Navy, and ultimately to a Vietnamese prison camp after his plane is shot down during the Vietnam War.

Dengler's story is one of courage, endurance, and perseverance. While the events alone are worthy of documentation, it's really Dieter himself who makes the movie. His matter-of-factness and humanity are almost beyond belief.

Herzog recently revisited this story, retelling it in Rescue Dawn, staring Christian Bale as Dieter. I haven't seen this fictionalized account yet, and I can't decide if I want to. I recall both Bale and his costar Steve Zahn garnering raves, but right now I need to live with just the documentary for a while.

0 comments: