Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Civic Duty

So, yesterday was election day. I was well aware of it, because Columbia very kindly gives us all the day off to do our civic duty. Had it not been for this vacation day, though, this election may have passed me by completely unnoticed. While my local and national news has been all a twitter with whether Hillary is being discriminated against because she's a woman, whether Fred Thompson's campaign is crumbling as quickly as a Law and Order suspect's alibi, or why Stephen Colbert has been banned from the democratic ticket in South Carolina, there has been nary a word about yesterday's elections.

Because I had the whole day off and, therefore, no excuse not to, I did actually vote. I went in totally unprepared with no idea what I was even voting on. This is not ideally the way a voter should enter the booth! Certainly some of this was on me; I could have done some research but didn't. But I also wish the media had devoted just a small amount to what was happening. I listen to NPR every morning and read the New York Times almost every day. I consider myself fairly well informed and still I had no idea. It was funny how the polling station workers seemed so happy to see me. I think they were bored out of their minds and pleased as punch to have something to occupy thirty seconds of what was surely a long, boring day.

What do you all think? Did anyone else vote?


PS: In other blog news, I see that my apartment pictures are MIA. I'll repost them tonight when I'm home and with my camera.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stole them.