Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bike Shares

When Tina and I were in Paris, one of the best things about our trip was our bike tour. I raved about it then, and I’d still recommend it to anyone going to the city of lights. One of the things we learned about and saw along the way was the city’s bike share program.

I think New York is a long way from instituting something like this, which is too bad. A real city commitment to biking (which would include not only a bike share program but also infrastructure to keep bikers safe and a raised awareness by drivers) would significantly help limit our pollution output, minimize the number of commuters on subways, keep us all a bit healthier.

I’m happy to report, though, that D.C. has introduced its own bike share program. I hope New York’s competitive nature will prompt something to be undertaken soon here, too.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it's a great idea, and I hope it's so successful that cities all across the US start doing it!