Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Devil in the White City

I loved this book!

Erik Larson has whipped this true story of the Chicago's World Fair and a deathly charming serial killer into a novelistic read. The tale swaps between the drama and politics of designing and building a temporary city meant to dazzle people from around the globe and an under-the-radar killer. The juxtaposition of light and dark, celebration and sin, art and crime is compelling throughout. Larson is a skilled writer and his material wants for nothing. A hearty recommendation.

3 comments:

Dorrie said...

Oh good I'm glad you like this book. I loved it and I voted that you should read it this summer.

Anonymous said...

I totally second this recommendation. I suspect, having lived in Chicago, you might have been able to visualize the settings much better than I did.

Kristinn said...

I'm glad you liked it too! It's a great book, isn't it? Leaves you wanting more... :)