Monday, August 4, 2008

The Dark Knight

Todd and I finally got to see The Dark Knight over the weekend. And not only did we see it, but we saw it with the full Imax treatment. Given that the movie has been out for a few weeks already, I was a little surprised that it was still totally sold out. We got there a full 45 minutes early only to find that 3/4 of the ticket holders had gotten there before us!

I know I'm one of the last people to see this, so it's not like I'm breaking ground or anything here, but I have to say it: The movie was great. We all know that I tend to like superhero movies slightly less than everyone else around me, so I went in thinking I'd enjoy this but probably not love it. Instead, I really appreciated how dark it was, the presence of some political topicality, and the great, great performances. I especially loved--like everyone else--Heath Ledger's. His final performances were amazing, and this was a reminder of how sad it is that we'll never get to see what else he might have done.

To end on a happier note, Todd has been amusing me with his Batman voice since about a block outside the theater. It really doesn't even matter what he says: he drops into that gravelly and oh-so-dramatic voice and it cracks me up every time.

3 comments:

rg said...

I'm a little jealous of the Imax experience!

Tina said...

I know I'm waaaay behind on this, but I definitely see an Imax experience in my future. I can't wait to see this movie!

Spooky said...

I never got around to doing my own review of this, but I also loved the darkness. Although I have to say, considering the level of violence I'm surprised it only got a PG13.