Friday, August 15, 2008

Literary vacations

I recently stumbled upon this list of literary geographical hotspots that sounds great in theory but is a bit of a let down in reality. Sure, lots of novels and literary shenanigans have taken place in these big cities, but it’s not quite what I had in mind. I expected to see off-the-beaten-path places where a whole vacation could be focused on novels or characters.

So, since Reuters has let me down, I’m looking for other ideas. Have the locations of any books struck you with such impact that you’d take a trip to visit? Sadly the first ones I thought of required a portal to an imaginary world (Harry Potter) or a time machine (Tales of the City). Also, despite what I said above, they do take place in big cities; I think they still work because I really want to visit the very specific worlds within these cities.

What else? Maybe a tumultuous and passionate vacation with a lover to the moors from Wuthering Heights?

0 comments: