Saturday, August 23, 2008

Veep pick is Biden

I was woken up at 3:30 this morning to the chime of my cell phone. Barack and friends had just texted me to announce that Delaware Senator Joseph Biden had been selected to share the ticket with Obama come November. I guess technically Obama's camp stuck to their promise to make everyone who signed up for the text message "the first to know." It's lame to send it in the middle of the night, though, when, presumably, most people are sleeping. But whatever. Our elite status as "the first to know" was always going to last for approximately half a second.

More important is the news itself. I wasn't surprised at all to learn it was Biden, as he'd been the front runner by a wide margin for days already. Unfortunately, I'm not all that excited about him, either. He definitely complements Obama's experience and brings an undeniable history of foreign policy experience. But he also has a history of saying really boneheaded things.

Take Biden's comment about Obama himself:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,"

Or his very racist-sounding 7-11 comment: "You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent."



He needs to learn (and he needs to learn fast) how to stay on message. All that said, I'm very relieved and grateful to have Biden on the ticket rather than Tim Kaine.

2 comments:

Dorrie said...

I had forgotten about that stupid comment Biden made about Obama. On the other hand, he's male and white, which should help Obama with the working class. I really, really want Obama to win, so I hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty devastated because I think picking a northeastern liberal is the last thing Obama needs and will seriously hurt prospects for a Dem White House. I was really hoping it would be Sam Nunn, who brings the fo po and military experience as well as the South.
Also, word on Biden's need to stay on message.

I would be very happy to be wrong.

(kk)