Thursday, July 3, 2008

Full Circle

The sadness: The Jane Street Theater, where I spent a few nights ushering for Hedwig and the Angry Inch and MANY nights ushering for Tick, Tick...Boom is now a full on hotel. The building actually started as a hotel many moons ago, so I guess it's coming full circle. But I loved that space as a theater. It was limited as far as performance spaces go, I realize, but it has a special place in my heart; I'm sad to see it turned into another hotel with an annoying website.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Remember the sketchy tenants who used to live there and used to hang around the lobby during the ttB days?!?! Thank god they got rid of them...I think they were leftover from the Titanic days ha ha ha...

Josh said...

Did I ever tell you I actually "lived" at the Hotel Riverview during my first few weeks in NYC? After looking at the website, it appears that they may have rennovated it the slightest bit, but it's still pretty sketchy - no bathrooms in the rooms and still tiny, though now they feature A/C and wireless internet! Sad that the theater closed - it really was a fun space. I saw Amy Sedaris and Stephen Colbert do a reading of Wigfield there, and Sarah Jessica Parker sat in front of us. Plus I saw Hedwig 4 times, and it's still one of my favorites. Ah, the memories.