Saturday, July 5, 2008

The polls have officially closed

My summer reading poll had no official end date but I'm calling it a done deal right now. First, it's my blog, so I can do anything I want. :) Second, I'm already making reading decisions based on it. And third, I only have a few readers and I choose to believe that you all check in regularly enough to have already cast your votes.

So: The 2008 summer reading list is now decided, based on the percentage of votes each book received:

63.6% Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking
58.3% Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
41.7% Dave Eggars, Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
41.7% Simon Winchester, The Professor and the Madman
41.7% Erik Larson, The Devil in the White City
41.7% Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go

4 comments:

S Bennett said...

I didn't see the original poll, but I'm happy to see that the Eggers book came in close to last. I would put that last on that portion of the list.

Actually, it's all downhill from the copyright page.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I agree with Bennett. Why did so many people vote for that Dave Eggers monstrosity? Although, I can't wait to read your annoyed review after you finish it.

kk said...

I can't resist and want to make sure it goes on the record ( though we discussed at the office): I second this assessment of Eggers!

Jen said...

I know I'm late to the game on this, but

:::small voice::: i really love the eggers monstrosity. maybe you won't hate it.